Booking Secretary: 01223 880723 / 882799


Home » Other Information » History

History

This is an aerial photograph of our old hall (now demolished).Aerial photo
The Memorial Hall is sited centrally in the village of Great Wilbraham, overlooking the Recreation Ground, and serves the communities of Great & Little Wilbraham (approx. 1000 population), 7 miles East of Cambridge. The facilities date from 1949 when fields in the centre of the village were gifted to the Trustees of Great Wilbraham War Memorial Hall by R S Hicks Esq. of Wilbraham Temple and a Recreation Ground was created.  The primitive facilities toilet and changing facilities were extended in 1978 to create the current Hall and Social Club.  An annex was built in 1984 to house Sports Changing Facilities, Tractor Store and a Games Room.  The Recreation Ground and Memorial Hall is managed by the Trustees on behalf of the residents of both villages.

The Memorial Hall was rebuilt in 2016 – see ‘Look inside our New Memorial Hall’ for detailed photographs. The Social Club was relocated to the ground floor of the annex, which was converted to accommodate it.